Dan and Lorna's American Adventure 2005

Thursday, September 22, 2005

San Francisco

Wednesday 21st

We've made it to San Francisco!

Having a great time but now it seems like we're coming to the end of our holiday, only 9 days left! Certainly doesn't feel like we've been away for nearly 3 weeks.

Today is my birthday present day - Champagne Sunset Seaplane flight although after yesterday's evening weather we're a bit worried what kind of a sunset we'll see.

Tomorrow we're off to Alcatraz and are hoping to head off on a wine tour around Napa Valley on Saturday.

Sorry to anyone who hasn't received a postcard, I forgot all the addresses! Debbie & Jason, your's are being sent to our house so I hope you found them and Richard & George, I'm positive you live at 94 but am too scared in case i'm wrong!

Better get going now, off for a little wander round SF before heading over to Sausilito for our flight!

D&L xxx

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Yosemite National Park

Saturday 17th

We set off again along long open roads through the desert to Yosemite. The change in scenery was bizzare along the way and after 7 hours, we finally made it.

It was certainly a lot chillier here than in Death Valley and a lot greener. We also had to change our eating habits, it seems everything stops around 8.00pm with only the Pizza Patio and Bar open till 10.00pm.

Our little tent was quite cute if not a little chilly. We were also assigned our very own "Bear Locker" to store all our food and toiletries.

Sunday 18th

Our little tent cabin was slightly chilly during the night but luckily we came prepared and had lots of warm clothing to sleep in.

After a late start, we decided to hire come bikes and explore Yosemite. 3 hours and a very sore bum later we had to give back our stylish bikes.

Getting accustomed to Yosemite life, we were washed and changed and eating dinner by 6.15pm and ready for bed by 8.00pm!

Monday 19th

Another lazy morning followed by an afternoon looking at the Giant Seqoia's at Marposa Grove. We followed the ranger tour which took us just over an hour. Seqoia's are huge and they live for up to 3000 years!

Tuesday 20th

Yet again a lazy morning! The afternoon was filled with a hike up a big hill to Vernal Falls.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Death Valley

Friday 16th

We left the bright lights of Vegas behing and journeyed through the desert to Death Valley.

By the time we arrived it was a mere 100.F but the dry heat of the desert made it feel hotter. There's not much to do in the desert and we happliy sat outside well after 10.00pm with the temperature still over 95.F. Mad. I would have died but I wished we could experience the summer heat where it can get up to 122.F!

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Las Vegas

Monday 12th

Vegas day!

The flight frm Buffalo to Cleveland lasted only 25 minutes and was on a cool little plane which looked like a private jet.

We arrived at McCarran Airport early so we had a little wait for our limo driver but it was well worth it. We drank the champagne a bit too fast though (we thought it was a 30 minute tour but it laster 1.5 hours!)

We finally made it to The Bellagio and oh my god - it was fantastic! The bathroom alone was bigger than the size of our front room!

Tuesday 13th

Had a lazy morning (that bed is too comfy!) followed by an afternoon of poker with a lesson. Failed to win anything big, in fact anything at all and came away $20 poorer. Dan did slightly better coming away having lost only $12.

Wednesday 14th

Early start today - a 7.10am pickup for our Grand Canyon tour.

The tour involved planes, helicopters, boats and buses. Got great views of the canyon. We arrived back later than we thought but still managed an hour and a half by the pool.

Thursday 15th

Our last full day in Vegas :o(

Spent the morning by the pool and the afternoon at the Luxor playing poker. This time it was my turn to do slightly better and Dan to fail misserably. We lost a mere $100 in 3 hours but hey, we got lots of "free" drinks!

To finish the night, we had a very expenisve meal in one of Bellagio's snazzy restaurants.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Niagara Falls

Sunday 11th

We headed straight over to Canada for the day as we'd heard their view of the falls were better, and they were.

Did all the usual tourist attractions - Maid of the Mist and Journey behind the Falls and got very wet.

When we head back over to America, we stopped off for one last attraction - Cave of the Winds.

While there wasn't any cave, it was for me the best (and cheapest) of the day. You even got free shoes! If we thought the other 2 got us wet, this one got us soaked. You actually got to stand in one of the falls! Mad and very fun.

Saturday, September 10, 2005


Saturday 10th

After an early start (yummy homemade blueberry pancakes at 8.30am) we set off again towards Buffalo.

Along the way we stopped at Fly Creek Cider Museum and Nyagi's Winnery. We of course made some purchases (rude not to). A few bottles of "Hard Cider" and a strange but nice tasting bottle of red wine.

We ate dinner in Niagara and then had a quick look at the American Falls at night before bed.

Friday, September 09, 2005


Friday 9th

The start of our journey West.

We spent the day driving through New York state stopping once on the way at Howes Cavern, a very bizzare tourist attraction which was fun.

We finally arrive in Cooperstown, a very nice small American town, at 6.00pm.

Thursday, September 08, 2005


Tuesday 6th

We survived are first drive from NYC to Boston after some initial problems of the location of the hire car company (seemed they'd moved and not told us) Luckily it was just a couple of blocks away. Our little hire car is a white Hyundai Accent called Harry.

The trip was just under 250 miles and after a few trips round the block we managed to find our hotel in Boston.

Wednesday 7th

Had a lazy morning and then headed off on a whale watching tour where we managed to see Minke, Finback and Humpback Whales.

Spent the rest of the afternoon walking the Boston Freedom Trail.

Thursday 8th

Had a day of driving. Drove up North through Massachusets, stopping at the Salem Witch Museum then onto through New Hampshire and into Maine to York Beach before returning to Portsmouth in New Hampshire for dinner.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

New York

Hello from the Big Apple!

Today we leave New York and head for pastures new in Boston. We've been up since 7.00am which has started to become habbit! New York has so much to do and there isn't enough hours in the day to see it all.

Our time in New York started with our helicopter trip on Saturday which was fantastic. Since then, we've visited the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, 5th Avenue, Soho, Greenwich Village, Bloomingdales, Macy's, Tiffanys!

We managed to stay awake long enough last night to sample some of New York's nightlife. Didn't manage to get my cosmopolitan but had a few drinks similar :o)

Time to go now, need to get some directions to Boston!

More soon...
Love Dan and Lorna xxx